People often debate on whether to get a miles card or a cashback credit card. However, both credit cards have strengths and weaknesses. For instance, some miles cannot be directly redeemed for cash and are worth less than cashback points. On the other hand, SkyMiles are more valuable than cashback points when redeeming Delta flights, so travellers prefer it.
For many cardholders, it could be more advantageous to have both for different circumstances.
Best miles cards
- Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card- Using Purchase Eraser®, you could redeem miles to pay for past travel. You can also book new flights through the Capital One Rewards Centre. Miles can be cashed to pay for purchases on Amazon.com or PayPal.
- Capital One VentureOne Rewards Credit Card- allows you to redeem miles to pay for past travel expenses through Purchase Eraser or future travel expenses on Capital One Rewards Centre.
- Delta SkyMiles® Blue American Express Card- offers 24- hour Amex Global Assist Hotline and free insurance against car rental damage and loss. Using American Express Experience, you get access to exclusive ticket sales for concerts and sporting events.
- Delta SkyMiles® Reserve American Express Card- offers frequent flyer miles to Delta natives. You can also transfer miles to both members and non-members of SkyMiles.
Best Cashback Cards
- Capital One Quicksilver Cash Rewards Credit Card- offers a signup bonus, an extended warranty and insurance against travel accidents. Travel rewards can be redeemed for cash.
- Chase Freedom Unlimited®- you can use points to pay for travel purchases through Pay with points. You can also receive frequent special deals with Lyft and DoorDash.
- Discover it® Cash Back- gives you access to your FICO credit card score at no extra charge through your monthly credit card statements or the Discover mobile app. If you misplace your card, their Freeze it® service allows you to switch off your card to prevent anyone from making transactions.
- Capital One SavorOne Cash Rewards Credit Card- offers services such as insurance against travel accidents, special access to events, special access to events and complimentary service.