hero image

Research shows that around 30% of Americans experience some form of allergic reactions to scented products. However, a sweet scent attracts both men and women and draws them to each other, a key ingredient to romance. It may, however, turn out you are allergic to your partner’s body odor or perfume.

According to Purvi Parikh, MD, an allergist with Allergy & Asthma Network, being allergic to your partner’s smell is not uncommon. He says around 10 to 20% of the population experience allergies to their products.

Allergies are common from environmental things like dust, pollen, pets, certain plants, or even COVID-19. However, it is also possible to get allergic to your partner’s perfume smell or body odor. An allergy is a response that happens when the body detects a threat within the environment. The reaction is a result of the immune response launched to fight the invader.

You may require a diagnostic test to determine you are experiencing an environmental allergy or your partner. Choosing between sticking with your partner and combating an allergic reaction can be difficult to balance.

“Some people, we desensitize them, we put them on allergy shots, to cure the allergies over time.” And it is good to get on top of your allergies, Dr. Parikh.

Take time to study the source of your allergy

You cannot attribute an allergy to your partner or partner-to-be on your first date. You, therefore, need to take time and study the pattern of your allergy. Allergies take time to develop.

According to Dr. Parikh, intimacy could also cause some types of allergies. For instance, he says, kissing after eating certain foods may trigger allergic reactions. This is because the saliva may foot particles of foods that your partner is allergic to.

Dr. Parikh says some people develop seminal plasma hypersensitivity or an allergic reaction towards their partner’s sperms. This condition is rare and can be treated. It can also be reduced by using a condom.

To avoid having awkward talks together, it is advisable to get help from allergy doctors or talk out with your partner.